Save up to 80%
Rent or Buy • New | Used | Digital
Find your official College Bookstore
Yuzu is not currently available on your campus.
But, you can still get your textbooks from our friends at
Savings up to 90% off | 10 Million Books in Stock | Easy 30-Day ReturnsGo Now
Effective Date: August 2, 2015
1. What is the personal information that we collect?
We may collect the following information, depending on how you choose to interact with us:
- Your name
- Your e-mail address
- Your billing and shipping addresses
- Your phone number
- Your credit card or bank account information
- Your date of birth
- Other persistent identifiers
- Usage information
- How you interact with our Websites and Apps, such as items you browse, purchase, download, read, and access
- Your geographic location
- Your student or faculty ID
- Your financial aid number
- Your driver license number
- Information regarding courses you enroll in or teach
- Your program of study
- Your graduation year
2. Why do we collect personal information?
We collect your personal information in an effort to provide you with a superior customer experience and, as necessary, to administer our business. Your personal information also allows us to communicate with you about special offers, promotions, and other marketing programs and news that may be of interest to you.
3. How do we collect your personal information?
There are a number of circumstances in which you may need to provide us with your personal information. The most common of these include:
- Making a purchase or placing an order
- Creating an account
- Using BNED Websites and Apps
- Contacting customer service
- Interacting with social networking sites
- Entering a sweepstakes or contest
- Signing up for promotional communications
There are also circumstances in which we automatically receive and collect information from you. The most common sources of this information include:
- Web server logs, including your internet protocol (IP) address
- Pixel tags or clear GIFs
- Third party web analytics services
- Targeted advertising
- Apps you use, including geolocation
- Wireless networks operated by BNED in retail stores
- Social networking sites
- Your college or university
- Business partners, contractors, and other third parties
4. How do we use personal information?
BNED uses your personal information across our enterprise to provide you with a superior customer experience and, as necessary, to administer our businesses. For example, we use your personal information to:
- Provide you with products, services and information across the BNED enterprise, including product and subject recommendations and other information in BNED retail stores, through emails from our businesses, and on the BNED Websites and online interactive communities, Digital Content (defined below), Apps and software, and display associated content and advertising;
- Administer our programs;
- Provide customer service in stores, by telephone and online;
- Conduct research and perform analysis in order to measure, maintain, protect, develop and improve our products and services;
- Administer sweepstakes, contests, promotions or surveys and provide appropriate notifications;
- Communicate with you about special offers, events, or new products or services that may be of interest to you;
- Customize and enhance the BNED Websites and Apps and advertising;
- Make communications necessary to notify you regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues; and
- Manage our business.
5. With whom do we share personal information?
BNED may share your personal information with:
- Other entities within the BNED enterprise
- Service providers, subcontractors and agents who perform services for us
- Third party providers of products and services
- Third party membership programs
- Credit card companies
- Law enforcement officials and as required by law
- Co-branded offerings
- Other websites operated by BNED
- Your college or university
- Sales, mergers or acquisitions
6. How do we secure personal information?
We take significant and appropriate security measures, including physical, technological and procedural measures, to help to safeguard your personal information and to prevent unauthorized access and disclosure. In addition, we use industry-standard technology, such as Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption technology in the transmission of certain sensitive personal information, designed to prevent unauthorized persons from gaining access to your personal information, and, as technology develops, we intend to take additional measures to improve security.
We want you to feel confident whenever you visit us in our stores, on the BNED Websites, or use BNED Apps. While we are focused on the security of your personal information and follow strict standards, processes and procedures that are designed to protect your personal information, you must remember that the Internet is a global communications vehicle open to threats, viruses and intrusions from others and so we cannot promise, and you should not expect, that we will be able to protect your personal information at all times and in all circumstances.
7. How do we respect your choices about your personal information?
You may choose to opt out from receiving marketing and promotional communications from BNED at any time by clicking on the opt out link provided at the bottom of each marketing email and following the instructions. Please be aware that even if you opt out of receiving promotional communications, you may continue to receive emails and notifications relating to order confirmations and/or other business-related communications.
8. Whom do I contact if I have questions or concerns?
- Policies for Minors, including children under the age of 13
- Other entities within the BNED enterprise
- Data retention policy
- Accessing your information
- Your California Privacy Rights
- Do Not Track Disclosure
- Important information about third party devices, ISPs, websites and applications
The address for BNED is 120 Mountainview Blvd., Basking Ridge, NJ 07920.
Learn More about Our Privacy Practices
3a. How do we secure personal information?
Making a purchase or placing an order
When you make a purchase, rental or place an order in our stores, place an order online or purchase or rent digital books, textbooks, periodicals, and other digital content ("Digital Content"), you may need to submit personal information to us.
Creating an account
In order to use certain Apps and features of BNED Websites, or to purchase or access Digital Content, you may be required to create a password-protected user account and provide us with personal information when you do so.
Using BNED Websites and Apps
BNED Websites and Apps may provide you with the ability to enter (either directly, or by authorizing BNED to access the information from a third party such as a social networking site or application) certain information such as your contacts, calendar entries or photos, or images you may submit to us to help us locate products for you.
Contacting Customer Service
When you contact customer service, we may ask you to provide, or confirm, personal information so that we can better serve you.
Entering a sweepstakes or contest
If you enter a sweepstakes or contest we offer, we may ask you to provide personal information so that we can consider your entry and, if you win, so that you may redeem your prize.
Interacting with social networking sites
Our Apps may provide you with the ability to enter (directly, or by authorizing us to download the information from a third party such as a social networking site or application) personal information such as contacts or lists of friends. These or related applications may also allow you to provide information directly to social networking sites including information about your purchases, physical location, or comments.
Signing up for promotional communications
If you sign up to receive promotional communications or notifications from us, we may ask you to provide personal information so that we can provide these to you.
3b. How do we collect your personal information automatically?
Web server logs
When you visit a BNED Website, our web servers may automatically log information that your browser sends us. For example, we may receive and collect: the name of the domain and host from which you access the Internet; the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the computer you are using; the date and time you access the BNED Website; and the Internet address of the website from which you linked directly to the BNED Website. We may also collect information regarding search queries run on the BNED Website. We use this information to monitor the usage of the BNED Websites and as necessary for our business.
Browsers are typically set to create cookies automatically. You can choose to have your browser notify you when cookies are being written or accessed, or you can disable cookies entirely. If you disable cookies, however, you will not be able to place items in a BNED Website shopping bag, and therefore you will not be able to place an order with us online. Also, by not using cookies, some BNED Website features and services may not function properly.
Pixel tags or clear GIFs
We may use sensing technologies that use pixel tags or clear GIFs (which are also called web beacons). These technologies allow us to determine the effectiveness of our e-mail and advertising and marketing efforts. For this purpose, we tie the pixel tags and clear GIFs to personally identifiable information. We may also collect information regarding the links within such marketing materials that you click on and purchase statistics regarding items you buy following receipt of such marketing.
Third party web analytics services
We work with third party service providers, including but not limited to IBM Coremetrics and Google Analytics, to help us better understand how you use the BNED Websites. These third party service providers will place cookies in your browser to collect information such as how you were referred to the BNED Website, how you navigate around the BNED Website, what you purchase and what traffic is driven by various marketing methods. This information will help us to better serve you and provide you with more personalized information and product offerings. We do not allow third party service providers to collect your credit card information, e-mail address or password information. These third party service providers may only use your personal information to perform services for us and may not share your personal information with anyone else, or use it for any other purpose, except on an aggregated, non-personally identifiable basis.
Apps you use, including geolocation
When you use our Apps, we automatically collect information through the App when it is connected to the Internet. For example, we may receive and collect information concerning operating system, settings, usage, search queries, network interaction, the name of the network from which you access the Internet, the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the device you are using, unique device identifiers (UDIDs), downloads, configuration, or service information relating to any malfunction of the App. This may include information regarding your activity on such Apps, such as books or textbooks opened, date and time of use, time elapsed, page turns, bookmarks, annotations, customer reviews, and quiz or test answers.
In addition, to provide location-based services through Apps, BNED and may automatically collect real-time geographic location information or other location-based information about you and the mobile device on which the App is installed. This information may be used to provide certain device or application functionality or to offer, provide and improve products and services.
Wireless networks operated by BNED in retail stores
Social networking sites
Your college or university
If you rent or purchase textbooks or e-textbooks from us, we may also collect information about you from your college or university, including but not limited to your mailing and email addresses, class registration information and other course information. This information may be used for a number of purposes including providing our services to you and your college or university, sending postal mail and email, fulfilling orders, removing repetitive or unnecessary information from customer lists, analyzing data, providing marketing support, customer authentication, providing search results and links (including paid listings and links), providing customer service and processing credit card payments.
Business partners, contractors, and other third parties
We may collect personal information and other information about you from business partners, contractors and other third parties. This includes, but is not limited to, instances in which you affirmatively authorize third parties to provide us with information. Such information may be collected via, but not limited to, software applications that you download that otherwise allow you to interact with the BNED enterprise.
With whom do we share personal information?
Protecting the privacy and security of your personal information is a priority at BNED. BNED DOES NOT SELL OR RENT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTIES.
Please note that your data may be transferred to or shared with a third party as part of a sale, merger, or acquisition of BNED or one of its affiliates (see "Sales, Mergers, and Acquisitions" below).
- Other entities within the BNED enterprise. BNED owns and operates other operations and businesses and we may share your personal information with our other business units and operations, even if such business units or operations are sold.
- Partners. We provide personal information to our partners that provide product and service offerings or technologies that we think may be of interest to you. Our partnerships may also result in products and services that allow you to publish Digital Content that may be shared with our partners. We may offer you the opportunity to opt-in to receive information from our partners, which may result in your personal information being shared with our partners. The use of your information by our partners and their vendors and contractors will be subject to the privacy policies of our vendors once such information is transferred.
- Service providers, subcontractors and agents who perform services on our behalf. We provide personal information to third party service providers, subcontractors, and agents that work under contract on our behalf to provide certain services. These third parties do not have the right to use personal information we provide to them in any way that is not authorized by BNED. They are contractually obligated to use such information only as necessary to assist us and to maintain the confidentiality and security of such information.
- Third party providers of products and services. These are third parties that provide products and services you may purchase or request from or through us. These third parties do not have the right to use personal information we provide to them in any way that is not authorized by BNED. They are contractually obligated to use such information only as necessary to assist us and to maintain the confidentiality and security of such information.
- Third party membership programs. We work with certain third party entities to help them administer their own membership or rewards programs by providing them with purchasing information about their customers who make purchase from BNED. We disclose only the information that is necessary to make these third party programs work and to support your membership in them. This information usually includes your name and e-mail address as well as the dollar amount of the purchases made at BNED. We require such entities to obtain your consent before we provide them with this information, which they usually do as part of their own membership or participation rules.
- Credit card companies. Credit card transactions are handled by third party financial institutions and their vendors and contractors who receive credit card numbers and other personal information from us to verify the credit card numbers and process transactions. Although BNED's treatment of this information is governed by this policy, the use of your information by the third party financial institutions and their vendors and contractors will be subject to their own privacy policies.
- Law enforcement officials and as required by law. BNED may release personal information to third parties when we determine, in our judgment, that it is necessary to (a) comply with the law, regulation, legal process, or enforceable governmental request; (b) enforce or apply the terms of any of our policies or user agreements; or (c) protect the rights, property or safety of BNED, our employees, our customers, users, or others.
Analytics & Targeted Advertising
You may choose to opt out of collection of automatically collected information, including cookies, IBM Coremetrics, Google Analytics and targeted advertising, by following the instructions given in Section 3(b) above, or by using the functionality in your browser to reject cookies.
Online Community Users
BNED provides you with the ability to access, correct, change or request deletion of the personal information in your community profile(s) at any time by following the instructions below. We will respond to all access requests within 30 days. However, you cannot currently change your profile name although you may re-register and choose a new name. To review or modify your profile information, please visit the website of the BNED service with which you have registered. Please be advised that BNED may archive information it collects on its community and visitors. Additionally, by participating in the BNED online interactive community, and using BNED's various interactive offerings, including, the submission of customer reviews, you agree to receive communications from BNED, other users, and moderators related to the provision of these services.
Policies for Minors, including children under the age of 13
BNED is committed to complying with all applicable laws and regulations regarding the collection, storage and use of personal information of Minors under the age of 13, including the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998.
Our products and services are marketed for and directed towards purchase by adults or with the consent of adults. Individuals under the age of 18 ("Minors") are not permitted to use BNED Websites or Apps without the supervision of a parent or legal guardian. We do not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from children under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register for an online account or to post personal information on the BNED Websites or Apps. Should we learn that someone under the age of 13 has provided any personal information to or on any of the BNED Websites or Apps, we will remove that information as soon as possible.
If you are a parent or guardian who believes that your Minor under the age of 13 has submitted personal information or other information to us without your consent, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Once we verify that you are the parent or legal guardian, at your request, we will promptly provide to you information regarding what, if any, personal information we have collected about your child and how it has been used or shared. We will, at your request, remove personal information about your child from its database and instruct our affiliates and third party partners to do the same.
If you are a Minor under the age of 18, you may request and obtain removal of certain content or information posted on BNED Websites and Apps by sending an email to email@example.com with "Privacy Rights for Minors" in the subject line. Please be advised that our removal of your post(s) does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information you have posted on BNED Websites or Apps.
Data retention policy
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you with services. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Accessing your information
You have the right to ask us not to use your personal information for direct marketing purposes. You also have the right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies rectified. Please note that, as permitted by law, we may charge a nominal fee for information requests and may require you to prove your identity. Following a request, we will use reasonable efforts to supply, correct or delete personal information about you in our files. Please address written requests and questions about this to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to all access requests within 30 days.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits California residents to request a notice from us describing which categories of personal information we have shared with third parties or corporate affiliates for those third parties or corporate affiliates' direct marketing purposes within the last calendar year, and the name and address of such parties. If you are a California resident and would like a copy of this notice, please send an email to email@example.com with "California Privacy Rights Request" in the subject line.
Do Not Track Disclosure
Important information about third party devices, ISPs, websites and applications
The address for BNED is 120 Mountainview Blvd., Basking Ridge, NJ 07920.
Released: August 2015